Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I just saw a daffodil!

For a long time, on my way to school from where I'm staying, I passed a little house- which had beautiful flowers growing around it- dahlias, and another little yellow flower that seemed familiar, but one I didn't know the name of.

While walking by the house today, I saw a man weeding (or atleast I think that's what he was doing-I'm not an expert at gardening!) the flowerbed. I thought I'd be polite- after all I HAD loved the flowers, so I told him they were lovely flowers. We got talking in a desultory sort of way- he asked me where I was from, and so on, until I asked him the names of the yellow flowers.

The little yellow flowers, he informed me, were daffodils!

Now, this doesn't really seem such a big deal, you might say. After all, daffodils are common flowers, especially in California(and in India too, a search online tells me that the white Nargis flowers are actually narcissi, another variety of daffodils). No, what was suddenly brought home to me was the fact that I could recite 'I wander'd lonely as a cloud' verbatim*, a poem that is unarguably the most famous ode to these flowers, and yet had never seen a daffodil before! I'd studied the poem twice, once in Class 5 (When it was in the little syllabus booklet in school) and again in Class 8, when the CBSE had finally decided we could understand such poetry.

When I looked back, I realised that much of the poetry I was taught in school was written by British authors. In fact, most of our school-texts were taken out of solely British anthologies, and the odd exceptions (n class XII) dealt with eco-tourism(!), a visit to Leh(!!), The awakening of women in India (Ugh!), and Gandhiji as a schoolmaster (!!!!). Scarcely the sort of stuff that would make one jump with joy.

It's strange, because Indian authors, writing in English, have written so much scintillating stuff. And this is not confined only to what one read in textbooks, as a child too, all I remember reading was Enid Blyton, the Bobbsey Twins, and a little later, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.

This was supposed to be one of those profound posts, except that I think it lost steam somewhere. With that, I leave you.

*And had also come up with a rather risque parody of, one night

4 Comments:

Anonymous http://www.entrargmail.com.ar said...

Welcome to Sagnasty as the locals like to call it!!! I was at Saginaw children's zoo today and thought of you. We'd love to get together. I'm always looking for something fun to do. We'd also love to have you to dinner. Do you need any stuff while your here? Get my number from Gloria. Oh in case you don't remember...I'm Gloria's sister. We met at the wedding last year.

4:23 pm  
Anonymous aqui said...

Thanks taking the time go over this particular, I'm really regarding and furthermore like reviewing regarding the following content. In cases where would-be, any time you get knowledge, can you intellect bringing up-to-date your own net utilizing a lot more knowledge? This can be very used by everybody.

4:23 pm  
Anonymous esta web said...

Dude, please tell me that youre going to write more. I notice you havent written another blog for a while (Im just catching up myself). Your blog is just too important to be missed. Youve got so much to say, such knowledge about this subject it would be a shame to see this blog disappear. The internet needs you, man!

4:24 pm  
Anonymous este enlace said...

How did you get to be this good? Its amazing to see someone put so much passion into a subject. Im glad I came across this. Im glad I took the time to read on past the first paragraph. Youve got so much to say, so much to offer. I hope people realise this and look into your page.

4:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home